LxPupSc is a somewhat different pup....
As default, the desktop environment is LXDE (openbox, lxpanel, pcmanfm) rather than the more usual puppy jwm and rox (although these are still part of the build and there is a desktop switcher to activate them if you prefer).
LxPupSc is a 100% woof-ce 32-bit build but it does have a unique characteristic in that it is built from multiple sources as follows:
- Slackware base components come from Slackware-14.2 (a.k.a Slackware-Current)
- LXDE components come from Arch Linux
- Puppy pets are a mixture of Slacko-14.2 plus specific pet-builds when recompilation is needed for Slackware-Current library compatibility
Plus there are also a bunch of fix-pets, packages-templates, woof-ce patches etc. to get it all to hang together. (What properly goes where is still a bit of a black-art for me and I suspect some rationalisation could be done here!)
The kernel is a woof-ce kernel-kit build.
Thanks are due to many people whose more original work has been plagiarised ruthlessly:
- Jejy69 for the original LxPup way back in 2013 and particularly the menu configuration
- 01Micko for the Slacko-6.3 configuration used as a starting point and for much advice along the way and the pet-build system
- Stemsee for the kernel config
- Iguleder, 01Micko, and pemasu for the kernel-kit
- Mavrothal for testing and fixes (particularly the ppm/dependencies fix) and woof-ce advice and help
- Marv, Billtoo, ETP, radky, rcrsn51, gcmartin and many others for testing and helpful suggestions on the forum thread (apologies to anybody not mentioned)
- Smokey01 for the repository
Along the way, testing has identified some things that have found their way back into woof-ce for the benefit of future puppies (e.g. the sns/firewall-ng fixes).
In using woof-ce I have got a list of "enhancements" that I'd like to see:
- better support for incremental builds (1download to produce a list of changed packages downloaded; 2createpackages to loop to build that list)
- better integration of rootfs-packages and DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS- so that you don't have to tick choices in 3builddidtro-Z (e.g. have yes/no/woof as options)
(an interim change would be to make all rootfs-package chosen by default so you only have to unselect unwanted ones....)
- 3builddistro-Z to have better unattended operation - replace terminal questions scattered through script with a config file so you can start the build and go away and forget about it
The version of LxPupSc at the time of writing is 16.08.1 (hosted on SourceForge)
The forum thread
Edit - Delete
No comments posted yet.